4 Mar 2013

On having a poorly child

Snuggled up in the sofa bed - now to be called the sick den -  watching a disney movie

Noah has been really poorly for the last few days. Right now he is upstairs having a nice long nap which is the first time since Thursday. If only he had decided to sleep a bit later and I would have been able to sleep as well, none of us have been able to sleep whilst he's been ill!

It started on Thursday, I had no idea what was wrong with him, he just whined. All day. I took his temp in the afternoon because I couldn't figure out what else it could be and didn't want to take him to his swimming lesson if he was sick! The temp was fine though, so we went ahead with swimming. That evening though his temp went right up and has been floating around 38.5 - 39 degrees ever since. It did shoot up above 40 at one point which totally freaked me out (read about febrile seizures over on Melissa's blog), but he had fallen asleep under a duvet! He's had a rash on and off on his chest but this morning it came up all over his face and his eyes were all puffy. I decided it was time to visit the doctors, I knew that there wouldn't really be anything they could do but some reassurance is nice! Sure enough it is just a virus, a nasty one though, so no antibiotics unless the rash becomes pustules that start weeping (please no!). We did get some cream for his rash which will hopefully keep him more comfortable. I also got the reassurance I needed that we are doing everything right, keeping him in just a nappy, alternating between calpol and nurofen to keep his temperature in check (it hasn't actually brought it down much but at least it doesn't get any higher) and making sure he drinks lots.

The biggest shock to me has been I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT! I have become an overprotective worry mum! I'm usually so calm in a crisis, if anything happens to me I just get on with it and stay fairly level headed. Not when it's my baby apparently! I just want to take it away from him and feel sick myself! I need to hold him all the time when he's at his worst. Even if Thomas is holding him instead of me my hands are itching to take him and clutch him to me! I would give anything to make him better now.

Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment